PETALING JAYA: Former international Tan Boon Heong is grateful to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) for having faith in him.
Although delighted with the national body’s offer to get him back in the team, the doubles shuttler was still unable to make a decision.
He would sit with the national body to discuss the term and conditions after the Chinese New Year.
“I’m surprised and happy with the BAM’s decision to seek my services again. It’s a great opportunity to play for the nation again,” said Boon Heong.
“I still love the game and I enjoyed one of my best years as an independent player with Indonesian Hendra Setiawan last year.
“We could still give top pairs a run for their money.”
Boon Heong and Hendra played 18 tournaments in total last year and they did well to enter the final of the Australian Open Superseries and semi-finals of the China Masters.
They ended the season as the world No. 21 pair just within a year.
Boon Heong however, had to end the partnership with Hendra because the All-Indonesia Badminton Association (PBSI) had snapped up the three-time world champion to strengthen their national men’s doubles department.
Boon Heong said he understood that there was a need to add depth into the men’s doubles department – especially ahead of the Thomas Cup Finals in Bangkok, Thailand, from May 20-27.
“I’m aware that the men’s doubles is not stable yet and I can still help,” he said.
“I’ll sit down with the national body and see how best we can make it work. It has to be a win-win situation for both,” added Boon Heong.
Before the 30-year-old Boon Heong left the national fold in March, 2015, he formed a lethal partnership with Koo Kien Keat.
The duo bagged the Asian Games gold medal at the 2006 edition in Doha and emerged as the All-England champions in 2007.
They came within a whisker to emerge as the world champions before losing in the final of the World Championships in Paris, France, in 2010.
Did you find this article insightful?