KUALA LUMPUR: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) are not worried despite losing four more players from their set-up.
The four – doubles shuttlers Yew Hong Kheng, Woon Man Chun, Chua Khek Wei and Tai An Khang – quit the national body last week.
That has left the doubles department severely depleted. Only Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong, Chooi Kah Ming-Ow Yao Han, Ong Yew Sin-Teo Ee Yi, Low Juan Shen-Tan Kian Meng and Tan Chee Tean-Tan Wee Gieen are left in the national set-up.
The 23-year-old Hong Kheng, who won the world junior championships with Yao Han in 2010, is also the fourth former world junior champion to leave BAM this year.
Nelson Heg, the 2013 champion (with Ee Yi), was axed in April while 2008 champions Mak Hee Chun-Teo Kok Siang quit in August.
BAM technical director Morten Frost is set to bolster the national squad when he conducts selection trials next week.
“It was a mutual agreement between those four players and BAM. As far as I’m aware, there won’t be anymore players leaving this year,” said Frost.
“There are now fewer players in doubles, but that’s fine for now because we will have a three-day selection starting on Monday.
“It will be between the Form Five and post-Form Five students from Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) and invited players from the states.”
Frost also said that Malaysia’s doubles department is not in dire straits, yet.
“Two of the pairs we have now – Juan Shen-Kian Meng and Yew Sin-Ee Yi – have also played well recently,” said Frost.
“There’s still a lot of work for them but the results they’ve shown are definitely encouraging.”
Juan Shen-Kian Meng made an impressive debut on the international stage when they stunned China’s world No. 10 Liu Xialong-Qiu Zihan at the Macau Open last month.
They also played well at the Indonesian Masters last week, giving SEA Games champions Angga Pratama-Ricky Karanda Suwardi of Indonesia a fight before losing in three games.