Up in arms about JPN’s naming system

I AM Malay and my husband is an Indian Muslim convert. We have four children.

Recently, we took our two eldest children to the National Registration Department (JPN) in Petaling Jaya to get their MyKad done.

On their birth certificate and MyKid, their names are stated as (name) followed by “bin” and then their father’s name (as in Imman Ali bin Ismail). Their father’s details are also stated on their birth certificate. Since my husband is a convert, there is no “bin” in his name, as in “Ismail Das Soosay Das”, Soosay Das being his father.

Imagine our shock when the JPN officer told us the name on the children’s MyKad would not be the same as on their birth certificate and MyKid. He said this was because they were following a new system, and the name on the MyKad will be XXX bin and then their father’s name, for example Imman Ali (child’s name) bin Ismail Das Soosay Das (father). This name is very long indeed.

Our request to retain the names as in the birth certificate and MyKid was denied despite telling the JPN officer that the children’s school registration, bank accounts, certificates for national and international competitions, membership in clubs and societies and others all bear the name stated in their MyKid and birth certificate. We even provided a document from JPN (Surat Akuan Sumpah) that clearly stated my husband’s first name and his father’s name.

This incident has prompted me to share my views on the government’s way of doing things.

1) Before a new policy is implemented, are surveys conducted to gauge its impact on the rakyat? Would the new policy really benefit the rakyat or would it further confuse the civil servants who are responsible for implementing it?

2) Our government officers cannot solve matters that are actually quite simple. It is either this or they want to wield their authority – to the point of downplaying the concerns of the rakyat who are subjected to the new policy.

We are only asking for our children’s name in the MyKad to be the same as in their MyKid and birth certificate, but the government officers have made it difficult for us.

They simply couldn’t, or did not want to, understand that the change will affect everything my children have used their old names for in the past, such as school registration, bank accounts and even certificates or awards. And who else but the parents would be saddled with the unnecessary problem of getting this rectified?

This situation also raises further questions: If we really want the children’s names on the MyKad to be the same as in their birth certificate, must we get the name in the birth certificate changed? And does my husband also need to change his MyKad and birth certificate?

We left JPN that day without submitting the applications for the MyKad. But we will definitely write to Putrajaya about this.


Petaling Jaya

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 0
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Letters

Stop ‘policing' women's dressing, exercise plain common sense
Values are the bridge between generations
It’s all due to ignorance
Crowd control must be improved
Closing the cancer care gap
Don’t let the dogs loose
There must be flexibility on dress code
There should be no prejudice in essential services
Poser on validity of legal documents at JPJ
Move on fees applauded

Others Also Read