Start early to prepare country for vaccination


  • Letters
  • Thursday, 30 Jul 2020

AFTER the gathering outside the Kuala Lumpur Courts Complex on Tuesday by supporters of former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, which many top healthcare officials agree was a severe breach of the movement control order SOP, there is a chance that another spike of Covid-19 infections has been triggered.

Many of those present, including notable figures, were not wearing masks or social distancing. This was the perfect recipe for a spread similar to the Sri Petaling Cluster in February/March. At this point, we are now looking at damage control, and it is best that everyone at the gathering takes these three steps:

1. Stay indoors and work from home as much as possible;

2. Follow all the preventive measures strictly, like putting a mask on the moment you step out of your house (even if it is to throw your garbage out) and washing hands regularly; and

3. Forget about travelling interstate over the next few days.

Simply put, be a team player for Malaysia and stay indoors.

With many companies now racing against the clock to find a vaccine that will get us out of this dire situation, a special task force must be set up as soon as possible to start educating the public (in all the languages spoken in this country) on the importance of vaccination. This will save time when the vaccine is ready to be administered to the people. There is no point in the government getting the vaccine if people refuse to take it.

From my personal calculations, we will need about 94% of the public, including foreigners, to be vaccinated so that the other 6% (who cannot be vaccinated due to health reasons) can benefit from herd immunity.

We must also target anti-vaxxers (those who are against vaccinations) in the fight against Covid-19 from now on. We must convince them that eradicating Covid-19 is highly dependent on them accepting the vaccine when it becomes available.

I also hope vaccination will be given to everyone in the country, including foreigners as they are part of our society.

We need a holistic approach to overcome Covid-19.

DR ARVINDER-SINGH HS , Sungai Buloh, Selangor

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Health; Covid-19 vaccine

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

58% readers found this article insightful

Across the site