Kelantanese now charged for land matters


  • Letters
  • Thursday, 13 Feb 2003

From the Malay Press

THE Kelantan government is now charging its people at least RM2 for every form related to land matters, besides introducing new charges for 76 services by the Land Office. 

Berita Harian, quoted a source from the Land Office as saying the increases were for applications for state land, temporary ownership transfers, division of lots, ownership transfers and ownership balloting. Forms for the various applications used to be free-of-charge. 

The charges for forms escalate with the value of the land. For example, it is RM50 for land valued up to RM10,000 and Rm120 for land valued between RM10,001 and RM50,000. 

The most expensive form is for the transfer of land ownership at RM1,060 for land valued between RM900,001 and RM1mil. 

The charges were implemented on Jan 1 after the State Assembly approved it last year. 

Umno state assemblyman for Paloh, Nozula Mat Diah, was quoted as saying that the move was a burden for the Kelantanese as the economy of the state was languishing since PAS took over the state.  

Berita Harian also reported that the announcement, that the historical Stadium Merdeka and Stadium Negara would be preserved as heritage buildings, was welcomed by many quarters. 

Social activist Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye said the new decision reflected the importance of such locations being preserved. 

The Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Hishammuddin Hussein said that the Government would hold discussions with Permodalan Nasional Berhad (PNB), the new owners of these venues, on how to fully utilise these venues besides preserving its historical values. 

Meanwhile, Utusan Malaysia carried a commentary on the actions of the Opposition party, PAS recently. Its writer, Zukri Valenteno, who is incidentally the press secretary to the Information Minister, said that the current blow-up of PAS acting president Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang’s attendance at a congress in Indonesia in 2000 should not be so publicised as it was negligible when compared to his latest internal actions – the siphoning of tithes and the cancellation of a timber concession to a company that was suing the Terengganu state government for RM1.3bil. 

He urged the people of Terengganu to judge the current administration in their state, adding that this was the perfect moment for them to reflect on their inability to manage the resources of the state.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Letters

Domestic violence victims urged to seek help before tragedy strikes
Natural option for skincare
Let youths dip into their EPF fund
Online tests to assess stress level
Raise the fine for running the red light
Revival of programme not suitable at this time
Poser on how to keep neighbourhoods safe
Building blocks for the nation
Downside of overusing hand sanitisers
What’s our anti-Covid-19 festive season plan?

Stories You'll Enjoy