Made to feel like a foreigner at Immigration Dept

  • Letters
  • Sunday, 09 Feb 2003

WHEN my international passport expired, I applied for a restricted five-year passport for travel between Singapore and Malaysia. However, I was only given a period of one year simply because of the address in my identity card, which was my address in Sabah.  

I am quite baffled by the way officers at the Immigration Department did their work as I had to make a few trips in order to have my passport done. On each trip, I was told to produce different documents. 

The officers were inefficient and talked as though they were doing us a huge favour.  

Moreover, I was not even informed that the passport would be valid for only one year. When I asked, I was then told that the other four years would only be given once I changed the address in my IC.  

Why do Malaysians have to change the address in their IC just because they are staying in another place? Can I make an assumption that local university students must change the address in their IC when they want to apply for a passport, just for that mere three years of their courses? This is absurd! I am not a foreigner, but I feel like one. My address was not even changed when I was issued a new IC in KL after I lost it.  

I am not prepared to change the address on my IC just because of this. All I want to know is whether I will have the other four years if I go to the Immigration Office in Sabah.  



Kota Kinabalu  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

What do you think of this article?

It is insightful
Not in my interest

Across The Star Online