Musa assures Chinese schools


  • Letters
  • Saturday, 11 Jan 2003

EDUCATION Minister Tan Sri Musa Mohamad made front-page headlines in the major Chinese newspapers yesterday with his statement on the relocation of Chinese primary schools running out of students and the introduction of Chinese language lessons in the national primary schools. 

In an interview with Nanyang Siang Pau, Musa assured the Chinese community that the government would allow all Chinese primary schools, which had not registered new students, to be relocated. 

He advised these schools to quickly apply for relocation. “My ministry will approve the application once a new location is found,” he said. 

 

Musa also assured the Chinese community that the government would not close down these schools. “The relocation of a Chinese primary school requires efforts of the school’s board of governors, the parent-teacher association and the teachers themselves,” he said. 

 

The Education Minister reminded the parties involved in relocating any school on the importance of seeking the consent of the parents involved. 

 

In an interview with Sin Chew Daily, Musa talked about the ministry’s move to make national primary schools more attractive to the community by introducing Chinese language lessons. 

 

From this year, he said, two periods of Chinese language lessons totalling 60 minutes would be taught in Year One in the national primary schools. 

Musa said this move represented the government’s effort to foster a multi-language society and strengthening national solidarity. 

 

·LEADING Chinese dailies Nanyang Siang Pau and China Press said they had been victimised by the tactic of a new Chinese newspaper in assuming an appearance of a weak competitor to seek public sympathy and market support. 

 

The two dailies, quoting their senior executives, reported that Nanyang and China Press were severely hit after a good number of their journalists were pinched by the new daily. 

 

According to the dailies, the Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (SCAH) took a neutral stand in the conflict between the Nanyang Siang Pau, its sister paper, China Press, and the new Chinese daily. 

 

SCAH president Ting Chee Sing, who led a delegation to the Nanyang Siang Pau office, said the SCAH did not support the new daily behind the scene as alleged by certain quarters. 

 

·A BUSINESSMAN has complained to the MCA public service and complaint bureau that a medium had caused his insurance agent wife to refuse to have sex with him for 98 days. He also alleged that the medium had told his children to keep away from him whenever he was at home. 

 

China Press reported that the businessman, identified only as Lee, said his wife, after visiting the medium in Petaling Height, refused to have sex saying that he was suffering from several “dangerous” diseases. 

 

MCA public service and complaint bureau chief Michael Chong said Deputy Home Minister Datuk Choor Chee Heung had instructed one of his secretaries to check on the medium, according to the paper. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site