UK protection officers instructed to guard 2010 Epstein dinner party, reports say


A police vehicle outside Sandringham Estate, as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, younger brother of Britain's King Charles, formerly known as Prince Andrew, was released under investigation following arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Thursday, after the U.S. Justice Department released more records tied to the late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, in Norfolk, Britain, February 22, 2026. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

LONDON, Feb 22 (Reuters) - ⁠London police officers assigned to King Charles' younger brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor ⁠were instructed to provide security for a dinner party at Jeffrey ‌Epstein's residence in New York in 2010, British media reported on Sunday.

The Sunday Times, which first reported the story, cited emails from the Epstein files that appear to detail arrangements for Mountbatten-Windsor ​to stay with the late convicted sex offender in ⁠December 2010, along with his ⁠two protection officers from London's Metropolitan Police force.

In an email sent the night ⁠before ‌the event with the subject line "Security for party", a staff member informed Epstein the two officers had been given "instructions on the door".

The reports ⁠come after police said on Friday they were contacting former ​protection officers who ‌worked for Mountbatten-Windsor, urging anyone with allegations of sex offences relating to ⁠Epstein to come ​forward.

Police said they have not identified any wrongdoing by the protection officers at this stage. Asked to respond to Sunday's reports, the Metropolitan Police said it had no ⁠further comment.

Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday on suspicion ​of misconduct in public office in a separate investigation, and was released under investigation after being held by another police force, Thames Valley, for more than 10 hours.

His ⁠arrest related to allegations that he sent confidential government documents to Epstein while working as a trade envoy. As part of its investigation, Thames Valley Police continued to search his former mansion in Windsor on Sunday.

Mountbatten-Windsor has always denied ​any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein, and said he ⁠regretted their friendship.

In 2022, the royal settled a civil lawsuit brought in the U.S. ​by the late Virginia Giuffre, who accused him ‌of sexually abusing her when she was ​a teenager at properties owned by Epstein or his associates. He has denied ever meeting her.

(Reporting by Catarina Demony; Editing by Helen Popper)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Mexican drug lord "El Mencho" killed in military operation-government source
South Africa secures 1 mln FMD vaccine doses
Iranian students protest for second day at some universities
Feature: Young Zimbabweans turn to Chinese firms for expanded job opportunities
Vehicles torched in Mexico's Jalisco following federal operation
Final medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
2 dead, 6 injured in Rwanda cycling race accident
Greenland prime minister says 'no thanks' to Trump's hospital ship
Law enforcement kills armed man seeking to enter Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort, officials say
Pope says peace in Ukraine 'cannot be postponed'

Others Also Read