Spain confirms Gaudi designed remote forest building


A visitor walks around of Xalet del Catllaras - a three-storey mountain shelter built for workers at a cement factory located 125 km (78 miles) north of Barcelona, Spain, February 18, 2026. REUTERS/Nacho Doce

LA POBLA DE LILLET, Spain, Feb 18 (Reuters) - Spanish authorities said on ⁠Wednesday renowned modernist architect Antoni Gaudi designed a building in a remote forest area ‌of Catalonia, ending speculation over who was behind the project built in the early 20th century.

Gaudi (1852-1926) had long been linked to the Xalet del Catllaras - a three-storey mountain shelter built for workers at a cement factory 125 kilometres (78 miles) north ​of Barcelona - because the factory was owned by wealthy industrialist ⁠Eusebi Guell, for whom Gaudi built ⁠several projects.

But there had been no thorough technical and historical analysis to confirm Gaudi's role until ⁠authorities ‌commissioned an expert report from a Gaudi scholar in 2023.

"What's most important is that it shows the new architectural approach that Gaudi had," said Galdric Santana, the report's author who ⁠also chairs commemorative events planned throughout 2026 to mark a ​century since Gaudi's death.

Santana determined ‌that Gaudi designed the house, built between 1901 and 1908 in the town of La ⁠Pobla de Lillet, ​at the midpoint of his career, because it contains structural elements used only by Gaudi at that time. They include specific types of arches, vaults and rooms separated by walls positioned at 45-degree angles.

These techniques would ⁠not be followed by his disciples until ten or ​fifteen years later, Santana added.

The scholar said he found geometric, structural and compositional evidence proving Gaudi's authorship after analysing floor plans for other Gaudi buildings, using 3D techniques and examining old documents and photographs.

Before ⁠conducting the report, Santana said it was feasible to consider Gaudi might not be the designer given the building's remoteness and the fact that he had several prominent projects underway during those years, including Barcelona's Park Guell and Casa Batllo.

But he believes Gaudi did not supervise its construction because the ​completed building was modified from the original plan.

That would explain why ⁠Gaudi never publicly acknowledged designing the Xalet, he added. At the time, it was common for architects ​to withhold their signature from a building if the finished ‌work deviated from the original blueprint.

Around ten other ​works remain unconfirmed as Gaudi designs, Santana said.

(Reporting by Nacho Doce, Christophe Van Der Perre and Joan Faus. Writing by Joan Faus. Editing by David Latona and Mark Potter)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Iran issues notice over planned rocket launches on Thursday
US withdrawing all forces from Syria, WSJ reports
Germany's Merz joins calls for social media limits for children
Putin meets Cuban foreign minister in Moscow, says US restrictions are 'unacceptable'
Urgent: At least 8 skiers dead after avalanche in U.S. Northern California
U.S. star Shiffrin wins women's slalom, returns to Olympic top podium after eight years
Feature: Along Lebanon's southern border, a muted Ramadan amid fragile ceasefire, economic strain
Trump says UK's Starmer making 'a big mistake' on Diego Garcia lease
2nd LD Writethru: 1 killed, several injured in shooting in central Mexico: local gov't
Few people left at Syria camp that held Islamic State families, former director says

Others Also Read