Colombia identifies remains of rebel group priest killed in 1966


A grave cross is seen in the area where ossuaries are being built, on the day of a commemorative event in memory of people reported missing during the armed conflict in the country, at the Jamundi cemetery in Jamundi, Colombia, May 29, 2025. REUTERS/Jair F. Coll

BOGOTA, Feb 16 (Reuters) - The ⁠Colombian state entity tasked with finding and identifying more than 135,000 people who have disappeared during ⁠the course of the country's six decades of civil conflict said on Monday it has identified ‌the remains of Camilo Torres, a Catholic priest famous for his membership in the National Liberation Army (ELN) rebel group and who was killed in combat in the 1960s.

The Search Unit for Disappeared People (UBPD) was created by a 2016 peace deal between the government and the Revolutionary ​Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrilla group to take charge of archival and ⁠forensic efforts to find disappeared people. They ⁠include those forcibly disappeared by right-wing paramilitaries, rebel groups and state security forces, those forced to join armed groups, ⁠soldiers ‌missing in action and others.

The ELN, founded in 1964, remains active and is itself accused of forced disappearances. It has held sporadicpeace talks with various governments and said in December it was willing to ⁠resume negotiations.

Torres, son of a well-connected Bogota family, was an adherent of ​liberation theology, a Catholic, anti-imperialist social ‌justice movement. He joined the ELN some four months before his death and was killed in ⁠February 1966 in eastern ​Santander province in a skirmish with the army.

The search unit used public and classified records, including from the military justice system, to find where Torres' remains had been interred by the military after his death, UBPD Director Luz Janeth Forero told journalists.

DNA ⁠samples from bones found in 2024 in the military section of ​a cemetery in Bucaramanga were compared with a sample taken from the remains of Torres' father Calisto, which were exhumed for testing from a cemetery in Bogota.

"After 60 years of disappearance, the search unit found, identified and completed a ⁠dignified handover of Father Camilo Torres," Forero said.

The unit, which began work in 2017, has found nearly 5,000 remains, identifying and handing over some 700 to loved ones so far, Forero added. It has also found 500 living people who were reported as disappeared.

Torres' remains were handed over to Javier Giraldo, a Catholic priest well-known for his activism ​on behalf of conflict victims, on Sunday, the 60th anniversary of Torres' death, ⁠Forero said.

Giraldo, who recognized the efforts of Torres' mother Isabel Restrepo to find her son while she was alive, ​said Torres will be buried at Bogota's National University, where he studied ‌and worked as a chaplain.

Though the Catholic Church has historically ​rejected Torres' involvement with the ELN, there is now more openness to discussing his legacy as a chaplain, activist and social justice thinker, Giraldo added.

(Reporting by Julia Symmes Cobb; Editing by Paul Simao)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Cuba's Havana piles with trash as US chokehold halts garbage trucks
U.S. dollar ticks up
Israel's economy growth accelerates to 3.1 pct in 2025
Swiss Olympic champion Gremaud withdraws from big air final due to injury
Roundup: Palestinians brace for "sad Ramadan" amid Gaza violence, West Bank tensions
Urgent: Women's freeski big air final at Milan-Cortina delayed due to weather conditions
African leaders urge transforming continent's potential into bankable projects at Africa Business Forum
Feature: Damascus markets bustle ahead of Ramadan, but rising prices strain shoppers
Nigeria says 100 more U.S. military personnel arrive to tackle Islamists
Meillard masters changing conditions to claim men's slalom gold at Milan-Cortina

Others Also Read