Rwanda reached deal with US to take in up to 250 migrants, government says


FILE PHOTO: Rwanda's government spokesperson Yolande Makolo addresses a news conference on the transfer of asylum seekers from Britain ahead of their arrival in Kigali, Rwanda June 14, 2022. REUTERS/Jean Bizimana/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The United States and Rwanda have agreed for the African country to accept up to 250 migrants deported from the U.S., the spokesperson for the Rwandan government and an official told Reuters, as President Donald Trump's administration takes a hardline approach toward immigration.

The agreement, first reported by Reuters, was signed by U.S. and Rwandan officials in Kigali in June, said the Rwandan official, speaking on condition of anonymity, adding that Washington had already sent an initial list of 10 people to be vetted.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Russia hits Ukraine energy infrastructure with major missile, drone strikes, Kyiv says
South Korea protests Japanese event over disputed islands
California avalanche: All nine victim bodies recovered
Two KLM aircraft collide on the ground at Schiphol Airport
Trump says he is sending a hospital ship to Greenland
OIC condemns statements by US ambassador to Israel
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of IS militants from Syrian camp
5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya's capital Tripoli, police officer says
Islamic State claims two attacks on Syrian army, announces ‘new phase’ of operations

Others Also Read