Iranian businessman detained in Italy to return home in coming hours


FILE PHOTO: Italian Justice Minister Carlo Nordio looks on as he leaves at the end of the annual Confindustria assembly in Rome, September 18, 2024. REUTERS/Remo Casilli/File Photo

ROME (Reuters) -Iranian businessman Mohammad Abedini, who was detained in Italy on a U.S. warrant, will return to Iran in the coming hours, the Iranian news agency Mizan said on Sunday, after Italy's justice minister filed to revoke his arrest.

Abedini was arrested in Milan last month for allegedly supplying drone parts that Washington says were used in a 2024 attack that killed three U.S. service members in Jordan.

"Mohammad Abedini was detained due to a misunderstanding which was resolved through ... Iran's foreign ministry efforts and negotiations between the concerned departments of the intelligence ministry of the Islamic Republic of Iran and Italian intelligence services," reported Mizan, the news agency of Iran's judiciary.

Iran denied involvement in the drone attack and dismissed accusations that it had imprisoned Italian journalist Cecilia Sala, who was freed on Wednesday and returned home, in Tehran to pressure Rome into releasing Abedini.

Earlier on Sunday, the Italian justice ministry said the minister requested that Abedini's arrest be revoked. Under Italian law, courts must abide by the request.

"Minister (Carlo) Nordio filed a request with the Milan Court of Appeal to revoke the arrest of Iranian citizen Abedininajafabadi Mohammad," the ministry said in a statement.

Nordio wrote that legal conditions were not in place to extradite Abedini as that could only be done for offences punishable both in Italy and in the United States.

The statement said violations of the U.S. International Economic Emergency Powers Act did not correspond to conduct recognisable as a crime under Italian law. It added there was no evidence corroborating the other charges of supporting a terrorist organisation.

A spokesperson for the Italian justice ministry said he was not aware if Abedini had already left prison.

Nordio said in an interview published on Thursday that the U.S. had not yet submitted a formal request to extradite Abedini.

(Reporting by Angelo Amante in Rome; additional reporting by Emilio Parodi, Alfredo Faieta in Milan and Elwely Elwelly in Dubai; Editing by Ros Russell)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Zimbabwe no longer keen on raw mineral exports, says president
IOC President Coventry defends Olympic neutrality
WFP warns deepening hunger crisis in Somalia amid aid cuts
French soldier dies after being accidentally shot in head during drunken evening in barracks
1st LD: U.S. Supreme Court rules Trump administration's sweeping tariffs illegal
U.S. Supreme Court tariff ruling could curb Trump's "unlimited, arbitrary tariffs": senior EP official
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's ex-wife 'Fergie' also undone by Epstein ties
Chinese couple makes Milan-Cortina history with dual aerials golds (updated)
EAC vows stronger efforts to ease regional trade obstacles
Food aid in Somalia could halt within weeks due to funding shortages, WFP warns

Others Also Read