2nd LD Writethru: Death toll in India's fire incident reaches 24


  • World
  • Sunday, 26 May 2024

by Pankaj Yadav

NEW DELHI, May 25 (Xinhua) -- The death toll in Saturday's massive fire in India's western state of Gujarat rose to 24. Among the dead were at least nine children, confirmed a local fire department official.

Besides, an unspecified number of people were injured in the mishap that occurred at an entertainment park "TRP Game Zone" in Gujarat's Rajkot district on Saturday afternoon.

According to the fire department official, fire-fighting work was almost over. Now a search operation was being carried out to bring out dead bodies, if any.

The cause of the fire could not be known yet. Most of the deaths occurred after a temporary structure on fire collapsed over them.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his sadness over the fire tragedy. "The fire tragedy in Rajkot has saddened us all. In my telephone conversation with him a short while ago, Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel told me about the efforts are underway to ensure all possible assistance is provided to those who have been affected," Modi posted on X.

The state's chief minister announced a monetary compensation of 400,000 Indian Rupees (around 4,816 U.S. dollars) to the families of each of the deceased, and 50,000 Indian Rupees (around 602 dollars) to each injured person.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In World

Linda Yaccarino shares her biggest moment of imposter syndrome from her last year running Elon Musk’s X
Unrelenting heatwave kills five in Indian capital
Europe needs greater political stability, EY says
Mouse shakers, power naps: Corporate America fights ‘keyboard fraud’
Scams keep haunting crypto market, aided by AI and social media
Thai PM proposes $102 billion budget to parliament to revive economy
McDonald’s is ending its test run of AI-powered drive-thrus with IBM
Why you should never connect to public WiFi networks
‘3D spatial sound’ should make voice and video calls more immersive
2024 haj season health plans a success, free of outbreaks, says Saudi Health Minister

Others Also Read