Congo Nobel laureate doctor Mukwege announces presidency bid


  • World
  • Monday, 02 Oct 2023

Denis Mukwege speaks at the United Nations Security Council during a meeting about sexual violence in conflict in New York, New York, U.S., April 23, 2019. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri/ File Photo

KINSHASA (Reuters) -Democratic Republic of Congo's Nobel Peace Prize-winning gynaecologist Denis Mukwege, renowned for helping rape victims, said on Monday that he would run for president in December.

Mukwege, who won the award in 2018 for his nearly two-decade campaign against sexual violence, made the announcement to a jubilant crowd of supporters at a conference centre in Congo's capital Kinshasa.

"My only motivation is to save and develop our country," he said in a speech that was heavy on criticism of the current regime but offered little in the way of specific policy proposals. He said he would give details on his programme later.

"What I am going to do is the continuation of my action and my commitment over the last 40 years in the service of my people," said Mukwege, adding that peace and security would be a priority.

Nicknamed the "man who repairs women", the 68-year-old doctor has treated hundreds of war rape victims at the Panzi Hospital he founded in 1999.

The hospital is located in eastern Congo where militia groups left over from two civil wars between 1996 and 2003 continue to fight and attack civilians despite military interventions.

Mukwege has previously denounced Congo's culture of impunity toward war crimes and crimes against humanity recorded by the United Nations. He survived an assassination attempt in 2012.

There had been growing calls for him to stand in the Dec. 20 election.

"You have healed many women and today we are asking you to heal this country too," said supporter Justine Mafu as she awaited Mukwege's announcement.

Mukwege will be running against President Felix Tshisekedi, whose first term was mired by economic hardship, epidemics and worsening insecurity in the east.

Opposition leader Martin Fayulu, who came second to Tshisekedi in 2018, also confirmed he would be running over the weekend.

The lead-up to the polls has been tense, with several opposition candidates complaining of delays and issues with electoral process which they say disadvantage them.

Mukwege said it would be important to protect the vote.

"We have the right to contest the results of a rigged election before, during and after the poll," he said.

(Additional reporting by Crispin KyalaWriting by Sofia ChristensenEditing by Nellie Peyton, Andrew Heavens and Christina Fincher)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In World

Feature: Lantern Festival extends Spring Festival joy across Europe
Russia will try new offensive in Ukraine this summer, Zelenskiy says
Three people killed by hyenas in almost two months in northern Tanzania
7 foreign volunteer teachers among 25 killed in Tanzania road accident
Taliban releases Austrian far-right activist held in Afghanistan
Mauritius stops Norwegian Cruise Line ship from docking, cites health risk
Brazil's Bolsonaro gathers supporters in show of strength amid coup probe
Politician among 2 shot dead near India's Delhi
8 injured as fire guts ammunition depot in South Sudan
Zelenskiy says 31,000 Ukrainian soldiers killed since Russia invaded

Others Also Read