U.N. says Congo will need $2.25 billion to aid uprooted people in rebel-hit east


FILE PHOTO: The United Nations headquarters building is pictured with a UN logo in the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York, U.S., March 1, 2022. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri

KINSHASA (Reuters) - The United Nations will need to mobilise a record $2.25 billion this year to address the mass displacement of people in east Democratic Republic of Congo following a major offensive by M23 rebels last year, the U.N. coordinator for the country, Bruno Lemarquis, said on Wednesday.

Decades of militia violence in Congo's vast mineral-rich east worsened last year after the Tutsi-led M23 staged a major come-back in North-Kivu province in March, uprooting more than 600,000 people, according to the U.N.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Australia to ban citizen from returning to country under rarely-used terror laws
South Korea says civilians sent drones to North Korea, harming inter-Korean ties
Philippine Vice President Duterte to run for president in 2028 elections
Glove found near Nancy Guthrie's home fails to produce DNA match
Jose Jeri, Peru's ousted president, was one of the world's youngest heads of state
Ukraine's Zelenskiy says Trump exerting undue pressure on him
Allegations in Epstein files may amount to 'crimes against humanity,' UN experts say
Germany sweeps podium in two-man bobsleigh at Milan-Cortina
Norway's Frostad wins epic men's freeski big air final at Milan-Cortina
U.S. stocks close higher

Others Also Read