DOHA, Dec. 1 (Xinhua) -- Roberto Martinez has announced he will not continue as Belgium coach after his side's exit from the World Cup at the group stage.
A 0-0 draw against Croatia on Thursday meant the Belgians are out of the competition. Although speaking directly after the final whistle, the 49-year-old said it was "too early" to think about his future, he announced in his post-game press conference that it had been his last match in charge.
"This was my last game. I can't carry on. It's time for me to accept that this is the last game. It was emotional as you can imagine," he told the press conference.
"I arrived with the clear idea of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup. Then we became so engaged with the project and won a bronze medal. I'm so proud of these players. It has been amazing.
"It has been six years where we've been able to do everything you want to do. The team has played and given people real joy. But this is the time for me to accept [it is over]. I don't resign. It's the end of my contract," Martinez said.
The former Wigan and Everton boss joined Belgium in 2016, leading them to third place in the 2018 World Cup and also to top the FIFA world rankings from September 2018 to this March.