75 people missing, one dead, after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia


TUNIS (Reuters) -Seventy five people were missing after a crowded boat of migrants sank off Tunisia on Wednesday, the International Organization for Migration said and a security official said, as the numbers risking the dangerous crossing to Europe increase.

The IOM said 24 people had been rescued from the boat, which departed from the beaches of Zawara in Libya and sank off the coast of Sfax.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Zimbabwe no longer keen on raw mineral exports, says president
IOC President Coventry defends Olympic neutrality
WFP warns deepening hunger crisis in Somalia amid aid cuts
French soldier dies after being accidentally shot in head during drunken evening in barracks
1st LD: U.S. Supreme Court rules Trump administration's sweeping tariffs illegal
U.S. Supreme Court tariff ruling could curb Trump's "unlimited, arbitrary tariffs": senior EP official
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's ex-wife 'Fergie' also undone by Epstein ties
Chinese couple makes Milan-Cortina history with dual aerials golds (updated)
EAC vows stronger efforts to ease regional trade obstacles
Food aid in Somalia could halt within weeks due to funding shortages, WFP warns

Others Also Read