German Nazi war crimes suspect, 96, who went on the run goes on trial


BERLIN (Reuters) - A 96-year-old German woman who was caught shortly after going on the run ahead of a court hearing last month on charges of committing war crimes during World War Two appeared before a judge on Tuesday in the northern town of Itzehoe.

Irmgard Furchner, accused of having contributed as an 18-year-old to the murder of 11,412 people when she was a typist at the Stutthof concentration camp between 1943 and 1945, was taken into the sparse courtroom in a wheelchair.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, imposes new 10% levy
US says it struck vessel in the eastern Pacific, killing three men
1st LD: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
Tajikistan's population reaches 10.72 million
Switzerland takes men's curling bronze, Sweden, Switzerland set up women's final at Milan-Cortina
Coventry hails Milan-Cortina Games as 'truly successful'
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 20
U.S. stocks close higher

Others Also Read