Surfer killed in shark attack on Australia's east coast


SYDNEY (Reuters) - A man has been killed in a suspected shark attack on Tuesday off a popular beach on the mid-north coast of Australia's New South Wales (NSW) state, rescuers and police said.

Emergency services were called to Tuncurry beach, more than 300 kms (186 miles) north of Sydney, after reports of the shark attack, NSW police said in a statement.

The man, believed to be in his 50s, suffered critical injuries to his upper right thigh after being attacked while surfing.

"Despite the best efforts of paramedics and bystanders at the scene, the man could not be resuscitated," NSW Ambulance said in a tweet.

The incident would be Australia's first fatal shark attack of the year, according to the Taronga Conservation Society, which collects shark attack data. Eight people were killed last year.

Tuncurry beach, also called the Nine Mile beach, and neighbouring Forster Main Beach have been closed.

(Reporting by Renju Jose; Editing by Michael Perry)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In World

U.S., South Korea reaffirm cooperation toward denuclearization of Korean Peninsula
Swiss voters to decide on pesticides ban, terrorism law and COVID-19 aid
G7 leaders commit to increasing climate finance contributions
At biker rally, Brazil's Bolsonaro says cops will support him 'whatever happens'
Afghans jailed in Greece over Moria migrant camp blaze
Hundreds take part in funeral of Canadian Muslim family killed in truck attack
G7 source praises Biden after 'complete chaos' of Trump
Syrian hospital hit in artillery attacks on Afrin, at least 13 killed
Congo president says Kinshasa hospitals 'overwhelmed' by coronavirus
German Green leader wants new policy to aid industry in CO2 reduction

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers