No grounds to pursue claims of French role in Rwanda genocide, prosecutor says


PARIS (Reuters) -The French prosecutor's department said on Monday that there were no grounds to pursue legal claims that France bore responsibility for enabling the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.

Rwanda last month published a report in which it said that France was aware that genocide was being prepared in Rwanda ahead of the killings.

France's top prosecutor, Remy Heitz, said in a statement that investigations carried out by French authorities could not prove any complicity by French troops in the killings which were orchestrated by the Hutu-led government.

Between April and July 1994, some 800,000 people were killed, most from the ethnic Tutsi minority but also some moderate Hutus.

Ever since the genocide, critics of France's role have said that then French President Francois Mitterrand failed to prevent the massacres or even supported the Hutu-led government.

(Reporting by Sudip Kar-Gupta;Editing by Alison Williams and Nick Macfie)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In World

Delta COVID variant becoming globally dominant, WHO official says
Blasts kill two near office of party backed by Myanmar army
Africa COVID trajectory is 'very concerning', WHO official says
U.N. chief Guterres appointed for second term
AstraZeneca says EU loses legal bid for more vaccine supplies by end-June
In political gamble, Spain's PM readies pardons for jailed Catalan separatists
Work from car: Long queues for fuel force Lebanese to adapt
Norway relaxes COVID restrictions as infections plummet
Feeling abandoned by Europe, Greece hardens migration policy
Dozens of migrants rescued, four dead after boat runs aground on Spain's Lanzarote

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers