Yemen's Houthis say fired drone at southern Saudi air base


DUBAI (Reuters) -Yemen's Houthi forces on Wednesday launched a drone at a military air base in the southern Saudi Arabian city of Khamis Mushait, the group's military spokesman said on Twitter.

A Saudi-led coalition battling the Iran-aligned movement said Saudi Arabian air defences had intercepted and destroyed a drone fired towards the kingdom, state news agency SPA said earlier on Wednesday.

The military coalition intervened in Yemen in March 2015 against the Houthis after they ousted the internationally recognised government from the capital Sanaa.

The group, which holds most of northern Yemen, has kept up cross-border attacks on Saudi cities after Riyadh last month presented a ceasefire proposal by the United Nations and the United States.

The Houthis said the deal did not go far enough in fully lifting a sea and air blockade on territories held by the group, which controls most big urban centres.

The conflict is largely seen in the region as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran. The Houthis say they are fighting a corrupt system and foreign aggression.

(Reporting by Ghaida Ghantous; Editing by Shri Navaratnam and Ana Nicolaci da Costa)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In World

Melbourne cases linger near record levels as Australia hits vaccine milestone
Doctors scale rockslides, invoke gods to vaccinate Himalayan villages
FARC dissidents say they carried out Colombia bombing, target was U.S. advisors
Bolsonaro says UK's Johnson sought 'emergency' food deal with Brazil
Libya presidency council head plans to hold October conference
Brazil committee passes civil service reform bill that trims employee payroll growth
Catalan separatist leader detained in Sardinia, his office says
Peru to cremate body of Shining Path founder and dispose of his ashes
Brazil approaches 600,000 COVID deaths in second-deadliest outbreak
North Korea says suggestion to declare end of the Korean war is premature -KCNA

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers