Leading French doctor: Macron took big risk by not choosing new COVID lockdown


FILE PHOTO: A Palme d'Or symbol is seen on the pavement near the Festival Palace on the Croisette during a nationwide curfew, from 6 p.m to 6 a.m, due to restrictions against the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Cannes, France January 29, 2021. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard/File Photo

PARIS (Reuters) - French President Emmanuel Macron took a big risk by not opting for a new national lockdown last week to curb the COVID-19 virus in France, Eric Caumes, an infectious diseases expert at Paris' Pitie-Salpetriere hospital, said on Monday.

Caumes also told BFM TV that the COVID situation in Paris remained worrying.

France decided against imposing a third coronavirus nationwide lockdown on Friday. Instead it ordered tighter border controls and an increased police action against those breaking a 6pm-6am curfew set up to curb the spread of the virus.

(Reporting by Sudip Kar-Gupta; Editing by Gareth Jones)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In World

German conservatives extend poll lead ahead of September election
Extreme poverty jumps in Italy on back of COVID woes
U.S.-Russia summit: The American presidents Putin has confronted
U.N. finds no evidence of Islamic State control over Congo militia
Security flaw found in 2G mobile data encryption standard
U.S. envoy for North Korea to visit South Korea for three-way meet: Kyodo
Germany set to end work from home obligation, Merkel aide tells weekly
Nuclear deal must await new Iran gov't -IAEA exec tells paper
Ukraine hackers uncovered who targeted U.S., Korean firms, say police
Giant Buddhist goddess in Japan gets face mask to pray for end of COVID-19

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers