5 dead, 7 hospitalized in suspected carbon monoxide leak in Italy


ROME, Jan. 16 (Xinhua) -- Five people died and seven others were hospitalized in critical condition in what rescuers said was a probable case of carbon monoxide poisoning at a rest home near Rome, the Italian National Fire Department said Saturday.

The rest home, called Villa Diamanti, is located in the town of Lanuvio, south of Rome, the Lazio Public Health Service said in a statement.

"The five deceased were all rest home residents aged between 80 and 99 years," it said, adding that all seven of the hospitalized present "symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning."

The seven patients include five rest home residents and two staffers, the Lazio Public Health Service explained.

Lazio is a region in central Italy where Rome is located.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In World

Sony to open PlayStation 5 for storage upgrades in summer
Japan government confirms man detained by Myanmar security police
Briton jailed for breaking Singapore's strict quarantine rules
Boeing 777 makes emergency landing in Moscow after engine sensor problem
The school leader getting New Mexico’s tribes online
German police carry out dozens of dawn raids on far right crime network
U.S. air strikes on eastern Syria kill at least 17 - sources
Left out? Israeli vaccine refuseniks fear exclusion as economy reopens
Greek ex-theatre director remanded after plea over rape allegations
Sharing ‘deepfake’ porn images should be a crime, says British law body

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers