KHARTOUM, Nov. 19 (Xinhua) -- The Sudanese government on Thursday decided to postpone the opening of schools for two weeks to curb the COVID-19 pandemic.
Schools across the African country had been scheduled to start the new semester on Nov. 22.
"The decision is to ensure that the educational institutions apply the health directives," said Sudan's Higher Committee for Health Emergencies in a statement.
Meanwhile, Sudan's acting Health Minister Osama Ahmed Abdul Rahim said in a statement that "the country is facing many health challenges including malaria, scarcity of medicines and renewed health issues relating to coronavirus disease."
Rahim urged the Sudanese citizens to follow the health guidelines, put on face masks, and avoid gatherings as he pointed to the increase in COVID-19 cases.
The minister also denied the reported plan to impose a complete lockdown to fight the pandemic.
Sudan has reported a total of 15,299 COVID-19 cases, including 1,179 deaths and 9,670 recoveries.
Did you find this article insightful?