Yemen's Houthis release U.S. nationals


DUBAI (Reuters) - Authorities in Yemen's Sanaa have released U.S nationals at the request of Oman, Omani state media reported late on Wednesday, without giving any more details.

"Under the directions of Sultan Haitham bin Tariq, the relevant authorities in the Sultanate contacted authorities in Sanaa which agreed to release the Americans and to transfer them to the Sultanate before heading home," Oman state TV said.

The United States welcomed the release of two U.S. citizens, Sandra Loli and Mikael Gidada, from Houthi custody and said the remains of Bilal Fateen would also be repatriated, according to a statement by U.S. National Security Advisor Robert O'Brien.

Oman sent two flights to Sanaa which also carried back 250 Yemenis who had been receiving treatment in the Gulf state and abroad, the Oman report said.

(Reporting by Maha El Dahan and Steve Holland; writing by Samar Hassan; Editing by Himani Sarkar)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In World

Swiss on way to halving COVID-19 infections every two weeks
Twin blasts in Afghan province of Bamiyan kill 14 people, injure 45 - officials
With U.S. hospitals overrun, surgeon general urges Americans to 'hold on'
Papal butler convicted in "Vatileaks" case dies
Leaders of Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan discuss peacekeepers' work in Nagorno-Karabakh
Russia chases off U.S. warship in row over waters in Sea of Japan
Spain to vaccinate workers and residents at nursing homes first
Japan criticises U.N. finding that Nissan's Ghosn was detained unfairly
As India readies vaccine strategy, Modi warns of possible side-effects
Ethiopia commission says Tigray youth group killed 600 civilians in Nov 9 attack

Stories You'll Enjoy