Portugal downgrades part of Greater Lisbon to lower level of deconfinement


LISBON, July 30 (Xinhua) -- The Portuguese government announced on Thursday that 19 parishes of the region of Lisbon and the Tagus Valley will move from the current "state of calamity" to the "contingency situation" from August 1, a lower level of deconfinement.

Before the decree, the 19 parishes of the Lisbon and Tagus Valley region has been the only area in "state of calamity" in the country.

Minister of Presidency Mariana Vieira da Silva said that the country as a whole will remain at the "alert situation" level, which is the lowest level of deconfinment.

The change is due to the "positive evolution" of the last month and the "downward trend in the number of cases" of COVID-19, the official explained after Thursday's meeting at the Council of Ministers.

Portugal recorded 255 infections in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number to 50,868. The death toll reached 1,727.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In World

Swiss on way to halving COVID-19 infections every two weeks
Twin blasts in Afghan province of Bamiyan kill 14 people, injure 45 - officials
With U.S. hospitals overrun, surgeon general urges Americans to 'hold on'
Papal butler convicted in "Vatileaks" case dies
Leaders of Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan discuss peacekeepers' work in Nagorno-Karabakh
Russia chases off U.S. warship in row over waters in Sea of Japan
Spain to vaccinate workers and residents at nursing homes first
Japan criticises U.N. finding that Nissan's Ghosn was detained unfairly
As India readies vaccine strategy, Modi warns of possible side-effects
Ethiopia commission says Tigray youth group killed 600 civilians in Nov 9 attack

Stories You'll Enjoy