British woman in Bali is Indonesia's first confirmed coronavirus death


  • World
  • Wednesday, 11 Mar 2020

Women with protective masks walk on a bridge, as Indonesia confirmed new cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Jakarta, Indonesia, March 11, 2020. REUTERS/Ajeng Dinar Ulfiana

JAKARTA (Reuters) - A 53-year-old British woman hospitalised on the resort island of Bali has died from the coronavirus, Indonesia's first recorded death from the disease, officials said on Wednesday.

The British woman had arrived on the island on Feb. 29 and reported herself to medical authorities three days later after coming down with a fever, Dewa Made Indra, head of Bali's COVID-19 task force, told Metro TV.

Indonesian health ministry official Achmad Yurianto said she had been suffering from four other preexisting conditions including diabetes and hypertension.

"We are supporting the family of a British woman who has died in Indonesia and are in contact with local authorities," said John Nickell, a British embassy spokesman in Jakarta.

The British woman had been cremated at the family's request, said Indra.

Bali, a popular destination for Chinese and other foreign tourists, previously had not reported any confirmed cases of the coronavirus.

Indra said that 21 people who had had contact with the woman had been tested.

Indonesia, the world’s fourth most populous nation, confirmed its first cases of the virus only last week, amid concern among some medical professionals of a lack of vigilance and a risk of undetected cases.

The health ministry has tested around 800 people for coronavirus, according to data on its web site. Indonesia on Wednesday confirmed seven new cases, bringing the total to 34.

The ages of the new patients, all of whom are Indonesian nationals and had contracted the virus overseas, ranged from 29 to 84 years old, said health ministry official Yurianto.

Indonesian authorities have said the confirmed cases had been imported from overseas or linked to a cluster in Jakarta tied to a Japanese visitor, though they are still investigating the origins of the infection in one patient.

"So far, no one is found to have had contact with the patient," said Yurianto, who added that two patients had been discharged from Jakarta's infectious diseases hospital after recovering.

Amid increased concern over the outbreak in the capital, Jakarta governor Anies Baswedan has cancelled for the next two weeks a car-free day usually held on Sunday. Plans for Jakarta to host a Formula E electric car race scheduled for June 6 have been postponed.

(Additional reporting by Ed Davies; Writing by Stanley Widianto; Editing by Ed Davies and Peter Graff)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In World

Survey: US leading race in artificial intelligence, China rising
Earth is losing ice faster today than in the mid-1990s, study suggests
Iran asks Indonesia to explain seizure of tanker accused of illegal oil transfer
Russian President Vladimir Putin to address World Economic Forum in Davos - Ifax
Blizzard absorbs Activision studio after dismantling classic games team
Ukraine completes tough COVID lockdown with optimistic expectations
Nepal's caretaker PM ejected from ruling party, remains in office
Bahrain approves Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID vaccine for emergency use
Ugandan court lifts opposition leader Bobi Wine's house arrest
Russia must immediately set free peaceful demonstrators, Germany says

Stories You'll Enjoy


-->