WHO says Ebola area contained but Congo needs long-term support


  • World Premium
  • Friday, 15 Mar 2019

GENEVA (Reuters) - The Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo is now concentrated in two areas and could be stopped by September, but the world must tackle Congo's broader crisis to make it count, the head of the World Health Organization said on Thursday.

The outbreak, the second worst in history, has killed 584 people in a region beset by violence and poverty, but a rapid international response has so far stopped the disease spreading into neighbouring countries.

Article type: metered
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In World

Germany to relax COVID-19 travel restrictions although daily cases remain high Premium
U.S. crude oil production unchanged last week: EIA Premium
Majority of Americans say they are "getting worse" financially: poll Premium
Most Americans believe U.S. off the rails as midterm elections loom: poll Premium
U.S. experienced highest ever combined death rates during COVID-19 pandemic: report Premium
Russia-Ukraine conflict increases financial stability risks: ECB Premium
Russia 'ready to set up corridor' for Ukrainian food ships - with conditions Premium
Another Omicron subvariant becomes dominant strain for new U.S. COVID-19 cases Premium
2nd LD Writethru: At least 14 killed after explosions rock Afghan cities Premium
1st LD-Writethru: Chinese premier stresses need to implement policies to stabilize economy Premium

Others Also Read