Syrian volunteer killed in strike, toll may be lower than feared - Red Cross


  • World
  • Tuesday, 20 Sep 2016

GENEVA (Reuters) - At least one Syrian Arab Red Crescent aid worker was killed in an air strike on an aid convoy near Aleppo, along with civilians, but the overall toll may be lower than feared, the Red Cross said on Tuesday.

"For now that is all we can confirm, the director of the sub-branch (of SARC Urem al-Kubra) who has been killed," Benoit Carpentier, spokesman of the International Federation of the Red Crescent and Red Cresecent Societies, told a Geneva news briefing.

Asked whether at least a dozen SARC volunteers had been killed, he said: "It could be less." At least 18 of the 31 trucks in the convoy were destroyed, as well as a health clinic, he said.

(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay, editing by Tom Miles)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In World

Mongolian prime minister resigns after COVID-19 protests
Taiwan says realistic about U.S. trade deal, but one will happen eventually
Japan tourism push linked to surge in COVID-19 infections - study
Amazon plans pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic in Seattle HQ
No computer, no heat: UK’s poorest struggle with homeschooling
Indonesia probing whether faulty system contributed to Sriwijaya Air crash
Exclusive: India to begin commercial vaccine exports with shipments to Brazil, Morocco
Google threatens to block Australians over media law
Biden's bold immigration overhaul may face a Republican wall in Congress
Relatively spared by the coronavirus, Pakistanis drop their guard

Stories You'll Enjoy