Israeli troops ready to roll out of Gaza


  • World
  • Saturday, 10 Sep 2005

By Jeffrey Heller

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - With Israeli troops poised to quit Gaza, Vice Premier Shimon Peres said on Saturday peace talks after the withdrawal were unlikely unless the Palestinian Authority proved it was capable of controlling the territory. 

A pullout ending a 38-year-old military presence could begin as early as Sunday, pending an Israeli cabinet vote on whether to destroy synagogues still standing in Gaza's 21 demolished Jewish settlements, and be over in less than 24 hours. 

An Israeli tank patrols in front of the demolished Jewish settlement of Neve Dekalim, in the southern Gaza Strip, September 9,2005. (REUTERS/Suhaib Salem)

But Peres put a damper on international hopes the withdrawal could kick-start negotiations on Palestinian statehood envisaged by a Middle East peace "road map" that has been stalled by nearly five years of violence. 

"The Palestinians must demonstrate they are capable of controlling Gaza. If they do not demonstrate that, it will be very difficult to resume the negotiations," Peres, an architect of interim peace deals with the Palestinians, told Israel Radio. 

Underscoring the challenges Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas faces from powerful militant groups, some 25 gunmen from his Fatah faction took over two government offices in the central Gaza Strip to press demands for jobs, witnesses said. 

The incident was the latest example of lawlessness in the impoverished coastal strip where 1.4 million Palestinians live. 

Palestinians are watching with a mixture of joy and scepticism. They fear Israel is trading tiny Gaza for a permanent hold on much larger swathes of the occupied West Bank where 245,000 settlers live. 

"For the first time in the history of the Palestinian people, they are being given the chance to rule completely a territory with defined borders," Peres said. 

"Who in the world will pay money (in international aid) or help the Palestinians if terrorism rules in the Gaza Strip?" 

READY TO ROLL 

The Israeli army blew up its last military posts in the Gaza Strip on Friday. Troops were waiting in and near their armoured vehicles for the green light to roll into Israel. 

Military sources said the withdrawal, following on the heels of 8,500 Jewish settlers evacuated last month, would take less than 24 hours. 

But Israeli Defence Minister Shaul Mofaz said on Friday the pullout, which had been slated to begin on Sunday, could be delayed a day if the cabinet decides the 25 synagogues in the former enclaves should be demolished by the army. 

It is an emotionally charged issue for Israelis worried that the Jewish houses of worship might be desecrated by Palestinians if left intact. 

Mofaz told Palestinian television in an interview broadcast on Friday that Israel would declare the end of its military rule in Gaza after the pullout. 

Palestinians, however, say Israel's withdrawal cannot mark the end of occupation in Gaza unless they are free to travel to and from the West Bank and operate air and sea ports, issues that officials are still discussing. 

"We will not turn Gaza into a prison. It will be possible to leave and enter Gaza, and its roads will be open," Peres pledged in the radio interview. 

Gazans are expected to take to the streets in celebration after the Israelis leave. The Palestinian Authority's official celebrations will have to compete with parades by militants claiming victory over the Jewish state. 

(Additional reporting by Nidal al-Mughrabi in Gaza) 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In World

Russian opposition to mark Kremlin critic Nemtsov's murder amid Navalny clampdown
South Korea launches review of Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine
South Korea vaccinates 18,000 to start ambitious COVID-19 campaign
Myanmar envoy appeals to U.N. to stop coup; more protests planned
Text of the U.S. assessment of Saudi government role in Khashoggi killing
Saudi Arabia rejects U.S. intelligence report on Khashoggi's killing - statement
World reacts to U.S. report on Khashoggi killing
'No smoking gun,' 'We are all Mohammed bin Salman,' say crown prince supporters
UK says it still raises 'terrible crime' of Khashoggi killing with Saudi government
Five protesters die, dozens injured in clashes in Iraqi city

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers