MANILA, March 30 (The Philippine Inquirer/ANN): President Rodrigo Duterte will address the public on Monday, two weeks since he placed the entire island of Luzon under quarantine to prevent the further spread of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19).
“He will have a televised message today tentatively set at 4:00 pm, ” presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo told reporters in a text message.
Todate, the Philippines reported 1,418 cases of Covid-19,71 of whom have died while 42 recovered.
Duterte placed the entire Luzon under a month-long quarantine on March 16, forcing about half of the country’s population to observe strict home quarantine. His directive comes just two days after a botched attempt to restrict the movement of people living and working in Metro Manila.
The lockdown is the government’s response to health experts’ estimate that Covid-19 infections may reach 75,000 in the Philippines in three months if the virus is not contained.
The respiratory disease— first detected in Hubei, China late last year—has so far infected over 720,000 worldwide, nearly 34,000 of whom have died. Meanwhile, almost 152,000 patients were able to recover.
Meanwhile, the government has decided to convert sports facilities, schools and even churches into makeshift quarantine sites.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases approved the proposals to turn military hospitals, sports facilities and other state-owned buildings such as the Rizal Memorial Coliseum, Philippine Sports Complex and Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) to COVID-19 isolation sites.
Did you find this article insightful?
85% readers found this article insightful