A total of 48 people had been pulled from the rubble, 10 of whom died, while 23 people remain trapped.
The Xinjia Hotel collapsed at around 7.15pm on Saturday in Licheng District of the city of Quanzhou, trapping 71 people.
Among the rescued, a boy aged around two years old was pulled from the rubble in the early hours of the morning. His parents were also rescued and sent to the hospital for treatment.
The local fire department has sent more than 200 firefighters to the site, while Fujian province dispatched 11 search and rescue teams with over 800 fire fighters and seven rescue dogs.
A witness surnamed Wu, who lives nearby, said he heard a loud bang while he was having supper and thought it was an explosion.
He ran to the balcony and saw the building collapse. He also saw people being rescued from the rubble, according to mnw.cn.
Wu said the building was about five stories high.
The Ministry of Emergency Management has sent a work team to Quanzhou to help with the rescue and to investigate the cause of the accident.
The ministry urged all-out efforts to rescue the victims and emphasised the prevention of secondary disasters, while ensuring the safety of rescue teams.
Further rescue is under way. — China Daily/ANN
Did you find this article insightful?