Two gunmen go on shooting rampage in Thailand, second case in same day

  • AseanPlus News
  • Friday, 14 Feb 2020

Police officers talking to a man who they arrested after he had fired gunshots at a sport apparel store in Pathumwan, a district in Bangkok, on Friday morning (Feb 14). The gunman fired more than 40 gunshots from a shophouse but nobody was reportedly killed or injured, according to Bangkok Metropolitan Police. - The Nation/ANN

BANGKOK:Two gunmen, one of whom armed with an M-16 assault rifle, went on a shooting rampage at a shophouse in Nakhon Pathom province in central Thailand on Friday morning, the second such incident in the same day, said police.

But no casualties were reported.

One of the two gunmen, identified as Thada, opened fire in a pre-dawn shooting spree in the house, which has been turned into an automotive garage in downtown Nakhon Pathom. The walls of the house were riddled with bullet holes.

The two gunmen kidnapped the wife of the house's owner and got away in a sedan before police arrived at the scene, according to provincial police commander - Police Maj Gen Khamron Boonlert.

The house's owner told the police that his wife is known as an ex-girlfriend of Thada, the gunman who remained at large alongside his companion.

Police are hunting for the two gunmen and the female hostage.

In the first shooting incident on Friday, the police said they have arrested a lone gunman who opened fire from a shophouse in downtown Bangkok in the morning.

The gunman fired more than 40 gunshots from a shophouse in Pathumwan district of Bangkok, but nobody was reportedly killed or injured, according to Metropolitan Police Commissioner - Police Lt. Gen. Phakkhaphong Phongphetra.

The 44-year-old gunman, dressed in a T-shirt and shorts, fired shots from the sportswear store which he has resided alone in a row of 20 shophouses on Banthat thong Road near Suphachalasai national stadium, according to the police commissioner.

He initially opened fire from the rooftop of his shophouse at a group of teenagers who safely took cover and called the police for help.

Then he fired gunshots to policemen including those from an Arintharat police commando unit as they were laying siege around the scene, but no casualty was reported.

The policemen later managed to arrest the gunman and brought him to Pathumwan police station for investigation.

Thailand has just experienced a rare and deadly mass shooting earlier this month, in which an army gunman opened fire with an assault rifle in an unprecedented shooting rampage on Feb. 8, leaving 30 dead and over 50 injured at the Terminal 21 shopping mall and some other locations in Nakhon Ratchasima province.

The gunman, an army sergeant major, was gunned down and killed by police commandos nearly 18 hours later. - Xinhua/Asian News Network
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Police , Two Gunmen , Bangkok , Hostage , Search


Did you find this article insightful?


Across the site