Eight killed, dozens injured in Indonesia's bus crash


  • Indonesia
  • Sunday, 19 Jan 2020

Bystanders looking at the wrecked tour bus in Cisaat village, Ciater district, Subang, West Java. The bus overturned while it was navigating the slope in the area, killing eight on board. - JP/ANN

JAKARTA: Eight people were killed and 30 others wounded when a passenger Tour bus overturned in Indonesia's West Java province on Saturday, media reported on Sunday (Jan 19).

The driver was believed to have failed controlling the vehicle when passing the way-down Palasari road in Subang district, said district police Chief Teddy Fanani.

Consequently, when the bus was reaching a sharp bend, it rolled over and stopped moving on the road, he said.

The bus was carrying 58 domestic travellers who wished to visit the tourist destination of Tangkuban Perahu volcano in the province's district of Bandung Barat.

So far, Fanani said, the cause of the fatal crash has not been found as the police are still conducting an investigation on the case.

Meanwhile, spokesman for the provincial police Saptono Erlangga said that 10 people suffered from serious wounds and 20 others got minor injuries.

Police are currently investigating the accident.

“We’re looking into whether the brakes were functioning properly. The brakes on the right side of the bus didn’t seem to work,” he said.

In amateur video recordings that have circulated on social media, the bus apparently flipped over to its left side on the side of a road. Police officers and locals could be seen climbing over to the right side of the bus to gain access to the vehicle and recover victims.

All the victims of Saturday's fatal accident have been rushed to nearby Ciereng General Hospital in the district, he said.

In amateur video recordings that have circulated on social media, the bus apparently flipped over to its left side on the side of a road. Police officers and locals could be seen climbing over to the right side of the bus to gain access to the vehicle and recover victims.

The provincial police have banned old buses from passing a narrow and slopping route in the province's Puncak tourist resort following scores of bus accidents.

Lacking of safety standards was blamed for the fatal bus crashes. - Xinhua/Jakarta Post/Asian News Network
Article type: free
User access status: 3

Eight People , Dead , Bus Crash , Tour Bus , Indonesia

   

Across The Star Online