Twenty-three miners were in the Guangdong coal mine in Anlong County when a gas outburst and explosion occurred in the early hours of the morning.
Seven of them were successfully lifted to safety.
Local Communist Party officials have reportedly arrived at the scene of the accident to oversee the rescue operation being carried out by firefighters, police and other emergency services for the two missing miners.
The early morning accident was the latest in a series of mining incidents in China, where at times safety regulations are often poorly enforced.
The accident in Guizhou came days after flooding at a mine in southwestern Sichuan province killed five and trapped 13 miners underground.
State broadcaster CCTV said 347 miners were working underground at the Shanmushu coal mine owned by Sichuan Coal Industry Group in Gongxian county on Saturday when the flood happened.
Last month, at least 15 people were killed in a mine blast in northern Shanxi province, which an official said was caused by activity that “broke the law and regulations”.
At a meeting in November, the State Council – China’s cabinet – ordered a “special crackdown on production-related safety issues” to “further improve workplace safety”, state media reported. - Agencies/ANN