Mum and daughter killed in hotel fire


  • Cambodia
  • Friday, 13 Dec 2019

Deadly blaze: Flames engulfing the top floor of the Phkar Chhouk Tep 2 Hotel in the Tuol Kork district. — The Phnom Penh Post/ANN

PHNOM PENH: The bodies of a mother and daughter were found locked in an embrace after they were killed in a hotel fire in Phnom Penh at the Phkar Chhouk Tep 2 Hotel and Restaurant in Phsar Doeum Kor commune, in the capital’s Tuol Kork district.

District police chief Sok Heng said on Wednesday that the victims, identified as Prum Tha, 56, and Prum Sokly, 18, worked as cleaners at the hotel.

“Our fire expert officials and (a municipal court prosecutor) examined the scene and confirmed that the victims were mother and daughter. They died hugging each other.

“After inhaling too much smoke, they must have lost consciousness and burned to death, ” Heng said.

He suggested that the fire, which occurred at 3.30am on Wednesday, was caused by an electrical malfunction at a staff facility in the hotel.

Many employees who were said to be at the staff facility managed to escape.

The victims’ remains were returned to their family on Wednesday in Kampot province’s Kraing Doung village in Banteay Meas district.Phnom Penh municipal fire department director Prom Yorn said after receiving the call, 15 fire trucks were dispatched to the scene and the fire was brought under control after 30 minutes.

“After they put out the fire, they searched the staff room and found the charred remains of the mother and daughter, ” he said, adding that the staff room was on the seventh floor of the hotel.

Neth Vantha, the director of the Fire Prevention Department at the Ministry of Interior, said there had been 717 fire incidents this year, noting an increase of 183 cases compared to the same period last year.

Of the 717 incidents, 17 victims died while 97 others were hurt. Another 576 homes and 372 stalls were damaged.

“The fires mostly occurred in Phnom Penh, Kandal and Siem Reap provinces, ” he said.

Vantha said 40.2% of the fires were caused by electrical malfunction and 30.1% by unattended stoves, incense and candlelight, while the remaining 29.7% remained under investigation. — The Phnom Penh Post/ANN

Article type: free
User access status: 3

   

Across The Star Online