Contactless clearance on trial run at Changi Airport


  • Singapore
  • Friday, 06 Dec 2019

Smoother process: Travellers who used the contactless systems cleared the immigration process faster. — The Straits Times/ANN

Singapore: Some returning Singaporeans at Changi Airport Terminal 4 no longer need to produce their passports to clear immigration in a six-month trial that uses iris and facial recognition for identity verification.

Similar to the recently concluded trial at Tuas Checkpoint, travellers simply need to look at a scanner which will employ iris and facial recognition to verify their identity.

The contactless immigration clearance is faster than the current passport-and-thumbprint system. Some travellers experience problems with fingerprint verification because ageing, dryness or scarring can make their fingerprints hard to read.

The trial began on Nov 25 and is open only to Singapore citizens aged six and above holding passport numbers beginning with the letter “K”, and whose passports were issued after Jan 1,2018.

The Immigration and Checkpoints Authority, which is running the trial, said travellers using the contactless immigration clearance lane should remove sunglasses, caps or other headgear that could obstruct their eyes or face.

At T4, ICA will dedicate one lane each to test two methods of clearance.

The first method allows a second traveller in the queue to start the screening process before the traveller ahead of him has completed the process.

The second method requires the first traveller to complete the process before a second traveller is screened.

Both systems will be compared for feasibility, efficiency and accuracy.

More than 22,500 Singaporeans were processed in the Tuas Checkpoint trial with 90% clearing immigration smoothly. The remaining 10% had difficulties due to unfamiliarity with the process. — The Straits Times/ANN

Article type: free
User access status: 3

   

Across The Star Online