JAKARTA (ANN): The South Jakarta Social Affairs Agency picked up an alleged beggar who reportedly had Rp194.5mil (US$13,819) in his possession during a raid in Gandaria, South Jakarta on Friday (Nov 29) morning.
This is not the first time the beggar, identified as Muklis Muctar Besani, 65, was taken into custody by the agency carrying millions of rupiah.
Acting head of the South Jakarta Social Affairs Agency Mursyidin said he was caught in 2017 carrying approximately Rp86mil.
Muklis has now been sent to Bina Insan Bangun Daya 1 Social House in Kedoya, West Jakarta, where he was previously placed in 2017 until he was collected by his family.
At that time he was instructed not to beg again and was allowed to keep the money he had collected.
The same procedure will apply this time. The agency will return Muklis’ money when a family member collects him from the social house.
Muhammad Yunus, one of the Social Support, Observation and Control (P3S) taskforce members who detained Muklis, said that Muklis initially denied earning the money from begging.
“At first he did not admit [he got the money] from begging. He said he earned it through his own undertaking. But that is impossible as he claimed he did not have any family members or a house here, ” said Yunus as quoted by jakarta.tribunnews.com.
Muklis eventually admitted he got the money from begging.
The government has repeatedly urged people not to give money to beggars. - The Jakarta Post/Asia News Network