Man raped and beat married lover after asking her to go shopping, HK High Court told

  • AseanPlus News
  • Wednesday, 10 Jul 2019

A restaurant worker locked up his married lover, beat and then raped her after arranging to go shopping with her, a Hong Kong court heard on Monday.

After the attack, the 37-year-old woman fled and hid on the roof of defendant Chan Kwok-ching’s residential building for hours because she feared she might run into him again while making her escape, prosecutors told the High Court on the first day of his trial.

Chan, 32, pleaded not guilty to two counts of rape and one of unlawful detention for the alleged attack on the woman, referred to as X in court, in Mong Kok in February last year.

Prosecutors told a jury of four women and three men that Chan met X when they both worked at the same restaurant between 2013 and 2014. X moved to another workplace but they remained lovers, although she was married, the court heard.

Testifying in court, X revealed she had lived together with Chan and had a daughter with him. But she left him after he started to beat her.

Suspect in Yuen Long murder has fled to mainland China, say police

On February 4 last year, X received a phone call from Chan just before she went to work. He asked her to meet him in Wong Tai Sin to go shopping, but after they met at 1.30pm he changed his plans and invited her to his flat on Tung Choi Street in Mong Kok instead.

Upon reaching the flat, Chan dragged X into his room and started beating her on the face, prosecutors said. Chan also snatched her phone and hurled it against a wall when X cried while taking a call from her supervisor, who was wondering where she was.

The court heard that Chan then removed her clothes and raped her, even though X told him: “I don’t want it. You don’t mess with me.”

X subsequently locked Chan out of the room and used his phone to message her husband for help. Chan was furious when he got back into the room, punching and kicking X, the prosecutor alleged.

He raped X a second time after rubbing medicinal oil on her for her pain, the prosecutor said.

Cat burglar scales 19 floors in daring robbery of two upscale flats

X managed to flee the flat when Chan went to get food. The prosecutors said she ran to the roof and stayed until 4am the next morning to avoid bumping into Chan again.

She was taken to United Christian Hospital in Kwun Tong for an examination after reaching home, where police were waiting as her husband had reported the case.

Prosecutors summoned X to testify on Monday and were expected to call Chan’s neighbour and a taxi driver who came to her rescue later.

The trial continues before Madam Justice Esther Toh Lye-ping on Tuesday.

For the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2019.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Across The Star Online