China rejects third party Philippines boat sinking probe






In the media glare: (From left) Filipino crewmembers Jaypee Gordiones, Felix Dela Torre and Richard Blaze being mobbed by journalists after a press conference 
in Manila. 
— AFP

In the media glare: (From left) Filipino crewmembers Jaypee Gordiones, Felix Dela Torre and Richard Blaze being mobbed by journalists after a press conference in Manila. — AFP

MANILA: China has refused a third party investigation into the June 9 sinking of a Philippines boat at Recto Bank in the West Philippine Sea.

“China does not want a third party,” presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said in a briefing yesterday.

Duterte had earlier said that he was fine with having a third party investigation, even as he agreed on a Philippines-China probe on the sinking of the Filipino boat.

A Chinese trawler rammed a Filipino boat and left 22 Filipino fishermen at sea on the night of the incident.

However, Duterte had downplayed it as a “little maritime accident”, saying that the Filipino boat was not sunk but merely “sideswiped” – a normal occurrence in the open sea. — Philippine Daily Inquirer/Asia News Network

Philippines