Jakarta: Dozens of people from the Kabonena and Tipo subdistricts in Palu, Central Sulawesi, who were displaced by a recent earthquake, were hospitalised for reported food poisoning after consuming donated food.
Badrun, one of the food poisoning victims, said the food was distributed to the shelter at around 11am local time on Saturday.
The displaced people did not feel anything strange as they ate the food, but an hour later they started to feel dizzy and nauseous, he said.
The victims – mostly children – were rushed to Anutapura Palu Hospital.
Anutapura Palu Hospital deputy director for medical services Herry Mulyadi said his office had recorded that at least 38 people were admitted there, while others were taken to other hospitals.
“All of them complained about feeling dizzy and nauseous,” he said.
By Sunday, more than half of the victims had been discharged.
Central Sulawesi Governor Longki Djanggola said everyone should ensure that the food and drinks they donated were safe for consumption.
Samples of the food had been taken to Central Palu’s medical laboratory for examination, he said.
It remains unclear who sent the food to the shelter. — The Jakarta Post/Asia News Network