PHNOM PENH: Cambodia has agreed to resume a search effort with the United States for the remains of Americans killed in the Vietnam War, the Foreign Ministry said, after suspending the programme a year ago as tension rose between the two countries.
Prime Minister Hun Sen suspended the POW/MIA programme when Washington stopped issuing some visas after Cambodia refused to accept citizens deported from the United States following their convictions for crimes there.
Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman Ket Sophann yesterday said Hun Sen had offered to resume cooperation in a letter on Friday to US Senator Doug Ericksen and Rep Vincent Buys.
Hun Sen said the search programme, which had run for 30 years until being suspended last year, would resume even though the visa curbs had “unjustly sanctioned” Cambodia. — Reuters