Court: Trial to continue without Park


Seoul: The trial of former South Korean president Park Geun-hye will proceed without her, a court said, following a hiatus of more than 40 days as she boycotted proceedings.

Park, who was ousted earlier this year over a sprawling corruption scandal, has refused to appear for her trial, angry at the court’s decision last month to extend her detention by six months.

Her legal team quit last month over the decision, accusing the court of bias. Park has since refused to cooperate with a team of state-sponsored defence lawyers appointed by the court, and failed to appear for her trial on Monday and yesterday.

“We have a lot of things to do, including the questioning of many witnesses. Taking into account the limited time ... we cannot delay the trial any longer,” presiding judge Kim Se-yoon said yesterday.

Authorities at the detention centre said they were unable to force Park out because of her status as a former president of South Korea. — AFP

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

World , south korea park trial

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Regional

Malaysia initiates legal action against EU over anti-palm oil campaign
'Just Wiki it': the world's favourite online encyclopedia turns 20
Covid-19: Cases up by 3,211, bringing total to 151,066 (updated daily)
Health Ministry: 3,211 new cases, eight fatalities take death toll to 586
Public Bank, Maybank and IHH drag KLCI into the red
HK security chief says communications surveillance can come under security law
Thai protesters scuffle with police, fearing more royal insult charges
Jack Ma’s local bar lacks one thing: its most famous regular
Indonesian influencer slammed for partying after receiving priority Covid-19 vaccine
Palm oil set for worst week in 11 months on weak demand concerns

Stories You'll Enjoy