MANILA: Soldiers in Sulu engaged with members of the Abu Sayyaf on Tuesday, the military said.
This was the first armed confrontation between the military and the terrorists after the August 29 clashes in Sulu that left 15 soldiers killed.
Western Mindanao Command spokesperson Major Filemon Tan said the troops of the 45th Infantry Battalion exchanged fire with Abu Sayyaf sub-leader Jamiri Jaong Jawhari’s men in Danag, Patikul.
The encounter is ongoing as of posting time, Tan said.
“Operating troops established attack positions, while artillery fires from the 8th Field Artillery Battalion and naval blockades were conducted by augmenting troops,” he added.
As of last week, about 7,000 troops are deployed in Sulu to fight the Abu Sayyaf. – Philippine Daily Inquirer/Asia News Network
Did you find this article insightful?