BANGKOK: A massive fire hit the Major Cineplex Pinklao shopping mall Thursday.
Police said the fire started at 11.15am at the shopping mall, police said, adding that 20 minutes later the roof on the third floor had collapsed.
Police said no one was trapped inside the shopping mall.
After the roof started to go down, all fire fighters were evacuated from inside the building to fire the blaze from the outside.
Fifteen fire engines rushed to the scene to douse the building. Police closed two traffic lanes in front of the shopping mall to facilitate the operation of the fire fighters.
Bang Plad district director Kannikarn Sangprasit said the massive fire at the shopping mall Thursday was caused by short circuit.
She said a sign of a cinema of the shopping mall, which is opposite to the Central Pinklao shopping mall, developed short circuit, igniting small fires that fell onto a carpet on the floor, leading a major blaze.
After the fire is put out, the building will be closed for checking of the safety of the structure, the director added. – The Nation/Asia News Network