‘Serious concerns’ over South China Sea: ASEAN ministers in China


  • China
  • Tuesday, 14 Jun 2016

BEIJING: Countries in Southeast Asia have “serious concerns” over recent events in the disputed South China Sea, an unusually strongly worded communiqué issued by their foreign ministers in China said Tuesday.

In a rare diplomatic slap in the face for Beijing -- issued on its own territory -- the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) offered a sharp rebuke over China’s actions in the waterway.

“We expressed our serious concerns over recent and ongoing developments, which have eroded trust and confidence, increased tensions and which may have the potential to undermine peace, security and stability in the South China Sea,” its communique said without mentioning China by name.

China claims nearly all of the South China Sea,  a vast tract of water through which a huge chunk of global shipping passes.

It has bolstered its claim by building artificial islands including airstrips in the area, some of which are suitable for military use.

The Philippines, Taiwan, Brunei, Malaysia and Vietnam have competing claims to parts of the sea, which is believed to harbour significant oil and gas deposits.

The ASEAN statement, which speaks of “a candid exchange with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi” was forthright on the dangers of this island-building programme.

“We emphasised the importance of non-militarisation and self-restraint in the conduct of all activities, including land reclamation, which may raise tensions in the South China Sea,” the communique said.

“We stressed the importance of maintaining peace, security, stability, safety and freedom of navigation in and overflight above the South China Sea, in accordance with universally recognised principles of international law including the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).”

The bloc’s finger wagging, after a Special ASEAN-China Foreign Ministers’ meeting in Kunming, comes as the region braces for a ruling by a UN tribunal on a claim brought by the Philippines against China.

China does not recognise the arbitration and has reacted angrily to the Philippines’ legal efforts over the Beijing-controlled Scarborough Shoal, off the main Philippine island of Luzon.

“We articulated ASEAN’s commitment to maintaining and promoting peace, security and stability in the region, as well as to the peaceful resolution of disputes,” the statement said.

The includes “full respect for legal and diplomatic processes, without resorting to the threat or use of force, in accordance with universally recognised principles of international law, including the UNCLOS and the UN Charter”.

China has been roundly criticised in the international community for its strong-arm tactics in both the South China Sea and the East China Sea.

Washington has repeatedly cautioned Beijing to exercise restraint in the region, and has sent warships through the waters on designated “Freedom of Navigation” missions.

It has also chided the Asian giant in recent weeks over what it says are

“unsafe” intercepts of US spy planes by Chinese fighter jets.

Beijing, which claims almost all of the South China Sea on the basis of a

“Nine Dash Line” found on Chinese maps dating to the 1940s, says it will not budge.

China’s stance on the sea is “in line with international law”, its top diplomat Yang Jiechi said last month, insisting his country’s position “will not change”.

A regional analyst said Tuesday’s statement was a show of support for Manila.

“Clearly, China’s purported efforts to divide and conquer the region and extract the South China Sea issue from the ASEAN-China agenda hasn’t worked,“ said Richard Javad Heydarian, assistant professor in international affairs and political science at Manila’s De La Salle University.

“And in this sense it’s an encouraging sign of consensus and support for the Philippines.”

Heydarian predicted a ruling favourable to the Philippines from the tribunal in The Hague, and said it would be important for ASEAN to issue a supportive statement as soon as the decision was announced.

“This will augment diplomatic pressure on China and help the Philippines and other claimant states have better negotiating power in bilateral dealings,“ he told AFP. – AFP 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Regional

MCMC: Over 2,000 websites blocked for promoting online gambling
Tesla promises new China datacentre as Beijing lays down the law on local storage of EV data
Covid-19: Cases up by 2,340 bringing total to 381,813 (updated daily)
Meituan CEO who beat Jack Ma gets US$10bil for next fight
China starts large-scale testing of its Internet of the future
Such ‘doge’: Chinese tech giants Tencent and ByteDance race to secure trademark for their own versions of popular emoji
Tesla says sorry to Chinese buyers, back-pedalling on its ‘no compromise’ attitude towards ‘unreasonable’ customer grievances as pressure mounts on social media and state press
Tesla protest at Shanghai Auto Show 2021 ends with woman dragged off by security after climbing onto car and shouting
Khairy: States allowed to procure own vaccines, as long as approved by federal authorities
Greenpeace chides Alibaba on energy as China tech gets greener

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers