WUHAN: Ruins of the Tangya Tusi fortress, one of the three Tusi sites added to Unesco’s World Heritage List last year, opens to public on Chinese Cultural Heritage Day.
The site, located in Xianfeng county of central China’s Hubei province and covering more than 100 hectares, is about the size of 140 football fields and is even bigger than the Forbidden City in Beijing.
The fortress was first built during the early Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368), before its later owners expanded it. The Tusi system was a political regime adopted by feudal Chinese emperors to govern ethnic minority regions.
Tusi was a tribal leader appointed as an imperial official by the central government.
Chieftains ruling the Tangya Tusi territory were surnamed Qin, who handed down the power to 18 generations until the Qing Dynasty (1636-1912), when chieftainship was abolished and the fortress was abandoned.
In the Tangya site today, the ancient government offices are gone but alleys are preserved and statues, a cemetery and an ornately decorated memorial archway still stand.
The other two Tusi sites in the Unesco world heritage list are the ruins of Hailongtun castle in Guizhou and the Yongshun old Tusi town in Hunan. — China Daily / Asia News Network
Did you find this article insightful?