Official protest lodged over demo at embassy


SINGAPORE expressed disappointment and surprise yesterday over a rowdy demonstration in front of its embassy in Jakarta by protesters who damaged the main gate and defaced it with graffiti. 

The participants had turned up unannounced on Tuesday, carrying banners and demanding that the city-state take back a disputed consignment of material that had been shipped to the island of Batam. 

“We are disappointed that this has happened when both the Indonesian and Singapore governments had agreed to refer the matter to the Secretariat of the Basel Convention, as had been requested by Indonesia,” said a Singapore Foreign Ministry spokesman. 

An official protest has been lodged with the Indonesian government. 

The dispute began last year over the shipment of what Singapore described as organic fertiliser exported by a company here to an Indonesian firm in nearby Batam. 

Indonesian authorities claimed the material was classified as hazardous waste under the Basel Convention, an international agreement that governs the movement of such material. – dpa  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Regional

Surveillance in China: artist who hides from security cameras in Beijing wants to highlight invasions of privacy
Covid-19: Cases hit a new record with 2,188 increase, bringing total to 58,847 (updated daily)
China ready to work with other countries to build global cyberspace community, Xi says
Chinese court orders wildlife park to delete facial recognition data as privacy concerns grow
TikTok maker ByteDance launches a new casual game store and indie publisher to take on Tencent and NetEase
Police: Hong Kong juveniles becoming victims of child pornography, sex crimes amid pandemic
S.Korean delivery workers say coronavirus boom means relentless toil
Alibaba CEO says China's scrutiny of Internet platforms is needed
Covid-19: New record of 1,884 cases reported, two fatalities bring death toll to 337 (updated)
Documents show Japan ex-PM Abe's camp subsidised backers' party - NHK

Stories You'll Enjoy