CIMAHI (Indonesia): A search for the bodies of 115 people trapped under an Indonesian garbage landslide was suspended for several hours yesterday, with heavy rain making the ground too unstable to continue.
Some 67 bodies have so far been pulled from the wreckage, giving a total feared death toll of 182, local disaster relief officials said. Some 100 residents and 15 migrant scavengers remained missing and presumed dead.
Gunawan Rosyid, from the disaster relief coordination post, said the search had been suspended in the early afternoon because of driving rain and had still not resumed around a couple of hours before sunset.
The disaster struck in the early hours of Monday as people slept and an estimated 2.2 million cubic meters of waste slid off a dump site and buried up to 70 homes near this town, close to Bandung city.
Search and rescue officials have said that there is no hope of finding any survivors.
The missing are believed either to have suffocated, crushed to death or died of heat exposure under thick layers of steaming garbage and soil.
The garbage was also discharging more and more methane gas and ammonia fumes. AFP
Did you find this article insightful?