Shanghai centre develops new hybrid rice


  • AseanPlus News
  • Saturday, 23 Oct 2004

A SHANGHAI research centre has developed the world’s first hybrid rice capable of producing high yields in dry areas.  

The drought-resistant rice needs 50% less water than normal rice and can produce up to 7,571kg of rice per hectare, about the same as ordinary rice.  

“We will send it to the Agriculture Ministry for final testing. Hopefully it will start being widely planted in 2006,” said Luo Lijun, director of the Agrobiological Gene Centre.  

While crops such as drought-resistant rice have been around since ancient times, they are usually few and with low yield.  

Drought-resistant rice occupies only one per cent of rice fields in China, which is facing an increase in dry weather.  

In northern China, there is an average 60% chance of spring droughts while in the south of the Yangtze River the odds are 40%. – China Daily  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site